Senior Process Engineer - Clean Water
Senior Process Engineer - Clean Water
Level: Senior Member IChemE/CIWEM/Institute of Water
Years of experience: 5+
Supporting other senior and principal members of the team in the delivery of key frameworks and projects. Liaison with clients, contractors and third-party stakeholders on a daily basis ensuring the most effective solutions and recommendations are provided to the Client. A key part of Engineering team, you will be working with a wide variety of clients across the UK water industry on water projects.
- A key member of the Aqua Engineering team providing expert process knowledge and input into water and wastewater design and delivery schemes.
- Capacity assessments into both water and wastewater treatment works to assess issues and come up with options for new process streams as required.
- Calculations and gap analysis to assess needs to ensure treatment works are compliant with the current and new consent requirements.
- Creation of mass balances, P+IDs, control philosophies and commissioning plans.
- Participation in HAZOPS, HAZIDS and HAZCOMMS as required.
- Assessment of potable treatment works, raw water deterioration parameters and any network risks.
- Creation of process options in sufficient detail to either go onto outline or detailed design.
- Detailed technical report writing based on the outcomes of calculations and collated site data.
- Stakeholder engagement across the water companies and other clients as required in order to pull data and scheme solutions together.
- Collaboration and interaction with the costing team in order to efficiently cost all options.
- Carryout client liaison and coordination, including reporting of progress.
- Project management of the tasks and deliverables required as part of the design packages.
- Conduct technical reviews of existing sites for troubleshooting purposes and be able to suggest process optimisation parameters.
- Assist project managers and site staff in evaluating data from site during commissioning and optimisation to facilitate successful project completion and meeting of compliance criteria.
- Give advice on best process engineering practice, including consent compliance, chemical handling and general design and operability health and safety.
- Development and promotion of environmental best practice.
- Attendance at stakeholder meetings & site visits.
- Attend design Workshops.
- Desire and ability to work independently when needed.
- Support and mentoring to graduate members of the team.
SKILLS / QUALIFICATIONS
- Accredited degree in Chemical/Environmental or Process Engineering.
- Good project management skills including organisational and diligence skills.
- Good analytical techniques and manipulation of data sets.
- Able to assess not only process but carbon footprint and environmental solutions, being innovative in your approach.
- Good communication, report writing and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in the creation of process mass balances and site optimisation plans.
- Experience of working within multi-disciplinary teams on a diverse project portfolio.
- Client and stakeholder management experience.
- Ability to lead projects.
- Practical site experience with regard to sampling and/or jar testing would be beneficial.
- Able to apply both industry best practice and the latest technology and innovation to new scheme solutions and ideas.
- Computer literate with Microsoft Office, Microsoft Project and other specialist computer packages (AutoCAD, Workspace, CRM’s, etc).
- Full UK driving licence as extensive travel throughout the UK will be required.
- Full UK permit for work or residency.
- Further education or second degree in a process engineering related discipline would be beneficial.
- Membership of a relevant chartered institute would be beneficial.
- Experience in Clean water treatment.
As a senior there is an expectation that the candidate will be a self-starter and identify opportunities to grow the business (with support of the management). The ability to talk with the client and other relevant stakeholders and compile information to present to the project lead. Day to day project decisions.
It is anticipated that the candidate will have elements that would require delegation, especially to seniors in other disciplines and graduates within the team.
- The candidate will be expected to liaise with Clients (including senior management) and Stakeholders (where appropriate). You will be an ambassador for the Aqua brand and therefore be professional in all endeavours.
- Coordination with the team lead, feeding in progress and highlighting any blockers to schemes.
- Where deemed necessary by any key personnel, liaison with Professional bodies may be required.
- Regular contact with all internal staff is expected with a focus on open communication.